Thursday, September 28, 2006

A Moment of Truth

All I can say about "True Stories: A Night of Semi-Brutally Honest Non-Fiction in Spoken Word and Song," the show I just saw at Mississippi Studios, is wow.

Wow!

That's not much of a statement from a guy who aspires to be a writer, but after hearing the authors at last night's show I feel unworthy. Sure, I'm a little biased because I'm lucky enough to consider myself a friend of all of last night's authors and I hope they consider me a friend. Although, I may just be the crazy stalker guy that still geeks out around them becoming a complete tongue-tied dork that just stares and drools, that even now, is cringing so hard at the mere thought of one of them actually reading this post his butt puckers and he may have wet himself a little bit.

What was I talking about?

"True Stories: A Night of Semi-Brutally Honest Non-Fiction in Spoken Word and Song" featured Courtenay Hameister, Marc Acito, Chelsea Cain, Stacy Bolt, Jim Brunberg, and Kristin Hersh. I am in awe. They rocked the house. Can you rock a house by just reading an essay? Well, I was there last night and I say you can and they did. I laughed, but I was also moved. I was also a little jealous. Let me tell you it's tough wanting to be a writer when all your friends are great writers. I guess the important thing is; did I learn something? I did. I learned never to borrow a pen from Chelsea, not to get injured during cocktail hour and your chances of being murdered go up significantly if Marc paints your house. I also learned that truth makes the best fiction.

Sorry for that little rant before, about being jealous and all. I mean I'm thankful for the friendships, it just sometimes it feels like getting the keys to a starship and then realizing you have no idea how to fly the damn thing so you start pushing all the buttons and… well it's not really like that. It's more like you're Rocky in Rocky II except when you get your ass kicked in the seventh round you don’t come back and win the fight you start making out with Burgess Meredith. Err… wait. OK, it's not really like that either.

Umm… why am I blathering on? You can hear the great writing from Courtenay Hameister, Marc Acito, Chelsea Cain, Stacy Bolt, Jim Brunberg, and Kristin Hersh for yourself because the show is going to be podcast on Powells.com. As soon as I find the link I'll put it up here. It's worth hearing. (Maybe if someone out there knows where it is they'll let me know.)

I also took a few photos. This is the best of the bunch. From the left, Marc Acito, Courtenay Hameister, Stacy Bolt, Kristin Hersh and Chelsea Cain. I'm not sure who's dandruffy head that is.
Most of the pictures didn't turn out. It's a new digital camera and I haven't learned how to take a decent picture in a darkened room filled with people yet. I have taken some great pictures of my cats though. Like this!
And this!
What was I talking about? Oh yeah! Kitties!
So Cute!
Weeeeeeeee!!!!!!

4 comments:

trj said...

cute, I love kitties.

Courrrtenay said...

Jonpaul! That is so nice of you to say! And thanks for taking the blurry photo. Being blurry shaves off 15 "is that her ass or is she just blurry?" pounds! Cool!

Anonymous said...

I heart you, Jon Paul. Just not in a gay way. So stop hitting on me, all right?

Sheesh.

Anonymous said...

PS Courtenay and I look like we're singing "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy."